Ghost Towns

Ideas on how the game could be improved and suggestions for subsequent versions of the game

Moderator: moderators

Ghost Towns

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:55 pm

There are so many Ghost Towns in the listing. We have people that can't use a city name because a one-day/week/month player from 2008 used that name, and isn't around anymore. It also clogs up other listings when one is trying to gather info.

Could something be done to expunge some of the ghost towns?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:01 pm

I think it would also be interesting to see just how many active players are on the game. If it were cleaned up, say, players that have not logged in for a year or more get deleted?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:02 pm

Are you following me, or something? 8)

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Yes 8)

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't think this will be ever done. Since this cleanup work could show there might not be many players active, and thereby disappoint people in the game and create more ghost towns. The hosts of the game embrace the ghost towns, so the market looks more alive.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 am

I guess it should not be a big problem to at least purge these ghost towns from the statistics.

As a new player, it gives me some sense of accomplishment to pass from rank number 3000 to rank 2000 in no time, but on the other hand, the sense of accomplishment vanishes when you find out you have caught up with towns that are dead for several years.

Freeing up names would be nice, I wanted to change my city name to Longford, but could not, because this name had been in use for one day.

However, when reading further through the posts, I realized that the main problem of these cities is that they are not really dead:
Their citizens are still alive and create demand. I already wondered that there seems to be an insatiable demand for all products, but this is of course because all these inactive cities are only consuming, but not producing. (Very much like some EU countries ;-) Please don't flame me on this remark)

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Paracelcus wrote:However, when reading further through the posts, I realized that the main problem of these cities is that they are not really dead:
Their citizens are still alive and create demand. I already wondered that there seems to be an insatiable demand for all products, but this is of course because all these inactive cities are only consuming, but not producing.
Very interesting, and while maybe obvious, I never thought of this myself. Good remark and it indeed explains the never fullfilling needs of the consumers in Kapi-Regnum (which I always found pretty silly).

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:39 am

I would like to see that verified.

I agree

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 am

Get rid of excess fat.
Players who have not logged in for longer than a year should be erased. Or is false statistics been used to advertise this web site, like we have 20 000 users and at the end you only really have 5000.

pearlbay

Post by pearlbay » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:37 am

Hi everyone,

the reason inactive accounts are not being deleted on Kapi Regnum is, that they only take up a very small amount of server space, and therefore do not inconvenience other players, by taking up much needed space or by reducing the server's performance.

Players who want to register for the game don't even see the amount of registered accounts on the server, so we are certainly not trying to give any false impressions here.

Best regards,

pearlbay

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:08 pm

I appreciate that response.

Is there any way to free up some of the great names that are languishing in the wasteland? It is a pity to leave them on tombstones only. :(

Though, as I think about it, that would be a huge use of time, to little end. Perhaps a request page for such things to be done on an individual request basis? That would be more efficient.

Dead cities

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:36 am

The relationship between supply/demand and pricing was mentioned in he discussion "Quick Start Guide for Kapilands Players". I haven't checked this relationship, but it seems to explain the daily variations in selling speed.

Some wishful thinking: the game could be more interesting, if workers must be paid on a regular (daily, weekly, ...) rate, regardless whether they are producing something or not. If they are not paid for some time, they leave town, or start to riot and destroy their dwellings and or/other buildings. Thus the non.productive towns would gradually be reduced to rubble.

This could work, if the marketplaces would automatically send their proceeds to the treasury at the same regular rate.

Of course, this is wishful thinking, my guesstimate is the number of active users is certainly less than two thousand, so the budget for making changes must be limited.

pearlbay

Post by pearlbay » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 am

Stonehaven wrote:I appreciate that response.

Is there any way to free up some of the great names that are languishing in the wasteland? It is a pity to leave them on tombstones only. :(

Though, as I think about it, that would be a huge use of time, to little end. Perhaps a request page for such things to be done on an individual request basis? That would be more efficient.
At the moment, if a player would like to use a name of an inactive player, we generally check how long that player has been inactive; if it has been a long enough period of time, we change that player's city-name, so the one who would like to use it can use it. So far this has been done by request via our support tool under:

htp://support.upjers.com
Paracelcus wrote:Some wishful thinking: the game could be more interesting, if workers must be paid on a regular (daily, weekly, ...) rate, regardless whether they are producing something or not. If they are not paid for some time, they leave town, or start to riot and destroy their dwellings and or/other buildings. Thus the non.productive towns would gradually be reduced to rubble.
While this is certainly an interesting idea, it would be problematic for those players who are indeed offline for a longer period of time, and return to find their cities gone. Since Kapi Regnum is based on long-term planning, this would be a great loss for someone who has played for several months or even years; that is why we are very careful with features that harm a player's account during his/her absence. After all, you wouldn't want your account damaged if you have been on vacation or simply did not have the time to log in for a while because of personal reasons. :-)

Best regards,

pearlbay

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 am

While this is certainly an interesting idea, it would be problematic for those players who are indeed offline for a longer period of time, and return to find their cities gone.
I agree that you could not do such a thing on short notice, but there are some resolutions to that problem:
- It may be possible to mothball a city for a longer time by firing all employees, and then tearing down all domestic buildings (to not have high unemployment).
- If the game would return the proceeds of the shops at the same regular interval as the workers should be paid, a player could make sure to sufficiently stock up his shops before taking a long break.

pearlbay

Post by pearlbay » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 pm

An interesting work-around indeed. The suggestion is of course noted, but I think that this, since it changes too much at the way players are used the game to work, this is an idea that won't be added in all likelihood.

Still, it's of course noted and will be passed on. :-)

Best regards,

pearlbay