collecting goods mid-production... & other musings

Ideas on how the game could be improved and suggestions for subsequent versions of the game

Moderator: moderators

collecting goods mid-production... & other musings

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi!

I was just wondering if it would be possible to have the workshops set up so that you can collect the goods that have been produced so far when you visit the site? (in the same way that you collect the money produced at the Market Stalls when entering the details screen mid-sale).

I realise that, viewing the rules in story terms, it is far different to pick up and remove money than it is to remove a large quantity of, e.g., livestock, lumber etc. Instead of having it happen automatically, perhaps a 'transport goods already produced to storehouse' button - with a haulage fee similar to taking goods to market would work? In that way, a patient player can just leave the goods to produce and be delivered to the storehouse, and an impatient player / interfering overseer could get their goods sooner, but at a slightly greater cost.

Thinking on my feet here (I've been pondering the previous for a few days, but this has only just clicked now): goods when sent to market, etc. are transported instantly. Would it be possible to have an intermediate phase : transporting and a brief time before goods get to their destinations? I realise that this would slow down the direct economic aspect of the game, but evertime I send goods anywhere, I get this mental image of cartoonesque blur lines from the back of a wagon and a horse with blurring legs and its tongue hanging out... I really feel sorry for the horse!

I guess this would logically lead to another building (waggoners guild?) that would be either researching faster transport or otherwise dedicating built space and workers to affecting it.

Running with that theme on another tangent: I have a bunch of unemployed people in my city, Aelfwic, and according to my minions at the market stall, there is much dissatisfaction at my (currently) low quality of goods and high prices. So what I want to know is, will any of them turn to crime? I think it would be an interesting (and wonderfully infuriating) touch.

If coupled with the delay for transportation, I can see theft of goods (and money) occuring by the resentful villeins. :lol: That would lead to buildings for and employment of personal guards to reduce the larcenous effects of the dissatisfied.

These are probably not do-able, but I thought I'd mention them just in-case! Thanks for reading this far through my ramble!

Thomase

Freeman of Aelfwic

Re: collecting goods mid-production... & other musings

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Thomase wrote: Would it be possible to have an intermediate phase : transporting and a brief time before goods get to their destinations? I realise that this would slow down the direct economic aspect of the game, but evertime I send goods anywhere, I get this mental image of cartoonesque blur lines from the back of a wagon and a horse with blurring legs and its tongue hanging out... I really feel sorry for the horse!
Appart of you being sorry for the horse, what would be the point of
doign it that way ?

There are many things in this game wich are not realistic. Hey, it's just
a game.
If coupled with the delay for transportation, I can see theft of goods (and money) occuring by the resentful villeins. :lol: That would lead to buildings for and employment of personal guards to reduce the larcenous effects of the dissatisfied.
So then you'll have to manage thiefs, wich mean police, prison, etc..

you mean a kind of Vendetta clone ?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 pm

I guess what he actually meant was, go to the pub down the road, get sloshed, and if you can still read what he wrote, you'll agree with him.

Re: collecting goods mid-production... & other musings

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Thomase wrote:I was just wondering if it would be possible to have the workshops set up so that you can collect the goods that have been produced so far when you visit the site? (in the same way that you collect the money produced at the Market Stalls when entering the details screen mid-sale).
Already possible, although there are downsides.

If you 'cancel' a production before it's completed you'll receive a portion of the goods you've already produced, and a refund for the ones you haven't.

Let's say your producing 200000 Water, and cancel it. As an example lets say 150000 water was completed before you cancelled, you would receive the 150k water and a refund of 1000 ct (the cost to produce 50k water).

If you did this for say Pigs.

You were producing 500 Q2 Pigs, and had likely researched Pigs to Q6, and were using Q2 Beets in the production. Water isn't a factor been stuck at Q0.

Now let's say you cancelled this half way through you would receive half the production, 250 Q2 Pigs, the refunded ct (approximately 1280 ct), as well as the remainder of the sub-produce; Beets and Water.

Any refunded products regardless of their quality level when starting production will be returned as Quality 0, so you would receive Q0 Beets rather then your original Q2's in the example.

That's the only real downside, but can also be useful in it's own respect depending on the situation.

but

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:44 pm

but it will be much nicer if you could tack it without canceling the prodaction, this will alow a more fluent eaconomy, so while you produce let say beets for 24 hours, you get the beets every time you enter to the workshop and you will use in the cattle farm to mack goat, while you macking goats you will tack them to 1 of ur whaving mill and mack from them leater, and tacking the letaer from there to ur secend mill to mack shoes, this is only an exmple but you do so you will be able to run ur city in more real life and a more efficent way