Features that will not be added [Updated: 04.02.2008]

Ideas on how the game could be improved and suggestions for subsequent versions of the game

Moderator: moderators

Features that will not be added [Updated: 04.02.2008]

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 pm

This is a rough translation from This Post on the German Server.

My German is a little rusty, so please bare with me with any translation errors but this shows the gist of things with a little rewrite here and there.

This is basically a list of features that will not be implemented into the game, and reasons why not where applicable.
Note this list may be updated at any time, although changes will typically be noted in the title.

* Market - Changing Prices
The Market price of your offer can only be changed if you buy the goods you've previously offered. Of course you lose the 10% commission, but by looking at the current prices first you wouldn't necessarily need to change your prices later unless your product isn't selling.

* Administration Building for Contracts
Been able to accept all your contracts at once may sound like a nice idea, however if someone has accidentally, or deliberately sent you a contract which wasn't what you wanted in terms of product, price, quality, etc; then you may end up accepting that contract by accident which would only lead to complaints.

* Naming the Contract Partner in the Balance Statement
In addition to updating the Balance Statement a new query would need to run to update to show where the contract was from. This would mean instead of once a day at midnight the game would need to update every few hours to recalculate these statements.

* In-Game Calculator
By the time you've navigated to a page and calculated for each product it's actually much easier to use a Spreadsheet to calculate all your products at once .. Besides, your computer is basically a giant calculator anyway ;)

* Production by Time instead of Quality
Again through a quick calculation you can determine the optimal time needed to produce the products as close to the time you want anyway.
The actual reason on the German Server is basically for UpJers to contribute to the arithmetic system by having people do simple calculations ...

* Changing the NPC Prices or Eliminating them
The NPC price will remain as it is as it sets a price barrier for some products, thus giving newer players a chance to actually buy them to expand their own buildings.

* Credit/Loaning System
This was actually tried in Kapilands beforehand and proved unsuccessful there. If a player takes a loan out from the system or another player that loan must be paid back, and if looted by the bank to recover those funds the player may end up with a negative bank balance; quite an annoyance when trying to get back on your feet afterwards.

A resourceful player who plans ahead shouldn't have the need for a loan anyway.

* Better qualities of Water
Water is the basic ingredient for every product in one form or another, and a guaranteed way for a new player to get into the market to begin their growth. Increasing the quality of water would take this advantage away from newer players and lead to an explosion of quality levels.

* Read Confirmation for Doves (Mail)
There are a number of players who become impatient if a player doesn't respond to their message within the first 10 seconds. We've seen a few examples of this here already, and with the ability to see when a mail as been read by the receiver this would only encourage a few people's impatience.

Re: Features that will not be added [Updated: 04.02.2008]

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Therian wrote:* In-Game Calculator
By the time you've navigated to a page and calculated for each product it's actually much easier to use a Spreadsheet to calculate all your products at once .. Besides, your computer is basically a giant calculator anyway ;)
I'm a little confused (I'm suffering from insomnia again, so please bear with me...). When stating "In-game Calculator" are you talking about people running make believe qualities through some little program widget that spits out the final product's quality level? Or is this in reference to Elwood's suggestion that there be a confirmation page that will tell you the quality level of a product you are making before you hit the "Do It" button? Just curious...

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm not 100% sure myself; the above is just a translation/update from the German side following Marcus's suggestion of translating the topic.

I presume it's referring to an actual built-in calculator

marble

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:44 pm

and what about macking marbles. will it come to play?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Therian wrote:I'm not 100% sure myself; the above is just a translation/update from the German side following Marcus's suggestion of translating the topic.

I presume it's referring to an actual built-in calculator
they mean a profanatory calculator build in to the game, just like calc.exe is available with every windows.