1 Week Slashed + Contests to resume 2 week format

Moderator: moderators

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Oh, I already considered Arquebuses ;) But at a cost of 600 cT just to produce em? It's a huge loss if producing yourself.

Even Horses as it is now are a bit of a drop, but with some people paying more then five thousand in some cases they obviously don't seem to mind too extensively.

It wasn't until I tried to fix the original error where I had dated the contest to start in 2008 rather then 2009 that I even realised I could change the contest settings even while it was running. Prior to such I had always deleted the old one before resetitng it, which caused several 'ghost' contests, and gave away the Pears one a few days before it was even announced.

There is also still plenty of time to change it again. If certain people are so against the slashing of one week, even though it was actually announced in two locations rather then just removed out of no where, I can add that week back in.

But what will happen again? It'll end up only been 6 weeks of contests in a row with a new one starting for two weeks straight away. An alternative would be I could set the new one to start on February 9th until February 22nd - That would give the market a week either side to calm down a little, then resume 2 weekly formats at the beginning of March properly in the first 2 full weeks.

If that is acceptable, then just leave a note here and I'll arrange it like such.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:40 pm

Therian - my good man! Please leave it the way it is...

I am getting worried that I have sold to many horses to end up with a certificate etc etc etc... We are all having our time with either the long contest or the short contest...

Thing is, I believe that all of us that are not complaining loudly - are happy with your decisions and adapt.

A nice little story would have been cool for sure but I wish you had more time to devote to us too - I also wish you had more time to do whatever you want....

I say listen to the people who are going for a medal and consider what they have to say, and if they don't say anything, I'm sure they must be ok with the shortened time...

Take care and Happy New year!
Kapi was great company in 08, I look forward to another great year...
Thank-you!
the littlewoman xoxox

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:48 pm

I think that it should stay the way it is. Everytime something is changed, someone will be inconvenienced (is that even a word?). Personally, I dont mind one bit that its slashed in the middle, but if I was one of the participants I would. And already the open market has become more active, and I think that its a big part because its shorter. And thats more fun:)

So I like the fact it was slashed in the middle, because I think you are very correct that the 2 weeks contests was better. But I do understand that some get annoyed. But sometimes you have to do a hard priority:)

I think your doing a great job Therian, and I also like the fact that we as players can make a difference! I have played some browsergames before, but I have never seen a GM asking the players what they think like this:)

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:42 am

i agree with Rabids... the 2 weeks is better .. on the german server one contest ends friday and the next starts on sunday... you dont get any time to recouperate.. furthermore ,no matter what the product is you only get 0,1 ct for sending it in.

So yeah, i like what your doing Therian ... keep it up ... just prepare a little better befor you set it up. :wink:

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:59 pm

yep, resetting it once more will just crack this contest too much.

Besides, how many people will you compensate because they started buying horses at higher prices!?

Also, when setting the contests, you did not EVER suggest to anyone that they are a good opportunity to upgrade :shock: It is a risk we take as players as even if the contest product market tanks, then we are stuck with upgrading buildings too. So, please leave it the way it is.

And yeah, good luck for the next one :) One step at a time and easy. Love ur twists too but its time for a perfectly normal contest :D

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:33 pm

pk wrote:yep, resetting it once more will just crack this contest too much.
Like it isn’t skewed beyond belief as it is.
pk wrote:Besides, how many people will you compensate because they started buying horses at higher prices!?
Might I suggest the same number as were compensated for losses in the first ill-advised change, that is to say – none. They'll need to be creative.

pk wrote:Also, when setting the contests, you did not EVER suggest to anyone that they are a good opportunity to upgrade :shock: It is a risk we take as players as even if the contest product market tanks, then we are stuck with upgrading buildings too.
I never said that Therian, or anyone else, suggested that contests were a good time to upgrade. But I did maintain, and I still do, that changing contest rules in the middle of the contest cheats some participants even as it benefits others, and thus, because it is inherently unfair, should be avoided.

Furthermore, there is a very big difference between losing income because the market tanks and losing income because of a hasty, mid-contest rules change arbitrarily set down by the deus ex machina. The former is a natural consequence of game dynamics; the latter an affront to the concept of fair play.
littlewoman wrote: I say listen to the people who are going for a medal and consider what they have to say, and if they don't say anything, I'm sure they must be ok with the shortened time...
Yes – their opinions are worth so much more than those of the rest of the players.

Finally, let me stress that I have nothing but respect for the work that Therian does, but in this case, someone made a bad, ill-advised and biased decision. I'll of course make the necessary adjustments, but players should not have to adjust to mid-contest rule modification. Although I do not expect the contest to be changed back to its original terms, I very much hope this type of incident will not be repeated.