Puzzle Contest - Win an Egg!

This is where you can find conversation partners. Maybe they can even help you create a new banner or solve any other problems!

Moderator: moderators

Puzzle Contest - Win an Egg!

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:51 pm

With all players waiting for a new contest, less and less posts being send to the board and no Kapi-Journal being published, the Court of Counts and Jesters [CCJ] decided to set up a little puzzle competition, as recreation and entertainment for those with the stamina to at least look at the board frequently.

The Winner of the competition will be honoured with an Egg of Columbus, sponsered by the guild named above (which is me actually ;) )

The First Puzzle

It´s easy. Everyone can do it. :twisted: -- Gamblinshire is proud of a tradition of sign-makers and banner-painters. To train the eye and hand the apprentices of sign-making are often given the task to copy a picture made by master of the trade. Below you see the first attempt by one of the young man (who is very happy, that he didn´t lose his apprenticeship. He was forced to eat all the following attempts, which showed similar mistakes, though. Well he became a rather quick learner in the meantime)
The Master of Sign-Making detected all of the mistakes immediately.
Even to the untrained eye some of the mistakes are obvious - and some of them are -- not.

The Rules:
  • find all the mistakes
  • Send an IGM to Gamblinshire (not a PM :!: ) and write the exact number of mistakes in the "subject" - line (you can of course write something (a blessing or a curse for instance) in the message body, but doesn´t really matter, if the number in the subject line is not right)
  • If only one participant sends in the right number, this will be the winner
  • If several towns or no town are sending the right number, a next puzzle will be posted in this thread
  • If no one sends an IGM, no one will get the Egg ( and I will really really pout. I warn you, its definitely not a nice sight )
  • Only 30 towns can participate in the contest, so hurry up!
  • EDIT: Attention Change of Rules : Participants can send in an Igm with -what they think :twisted: - the correct number of mistakes as often as they like! But: ONLY THE LAST IGM WILL COUNT. So if you change your mind, because you think you found another mistake, go ahead and send another IGM. The former IGM doesn´t count anymore, of course. If your last IGM has the wrong number, well bad luck :!:
  • Entry deadline will be 14.09.2009 | 20:00. Because of the rule change above this closing time will be taken very seriously: 1 second late and IGM doesnt count. So it´s 20:00:00 exactly!!
  • Results will be published in this thread, a.s.a.p.
Original (flawless)

Copy (find the mistakes)

have fun
Count Count

PS: If you find any severe spelling or grammar mistakes in this text, that could cause a misunderstanding of the puzzle and/or the rules, a PM with a correction would be very welcome!
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Hurray this board is not dead :lol:

Hints:

- Sep 12, 2009 12:30 am: the "original" is the image that you see when you log in (http://www.kapi-regnum.com/). Just in case someone needs the picture really big. Of course no moving clouds and no "register" or "login" signs and no mini-galleries in the original for this puzzle
- Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:59 pm: I´m on a short week-end vacation to the beautiful lake of constance. And while sitting there in the train i`m pondering about a new task for you - seems like a much easier puzzle is called for - because not even one of you has send in the right number so far
d) Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:53 pm: Final hints: No Participant has found enough mistakes yet. | There are more than 8 mistakes ! | Did you have a closer look at the lady at the right, all the buildings, the arc of stones ... ?

Participants (in order of appearance ;) )

1. Starhills
2. Fierzdaufen
3. ferntree gully
4. Elantris
5. Bierton
6. Lokringen
7. Kronenstadt
8. Juvavum

i.e. another 22 towns can join :!: spread the word :!:

(your messages have been archived, however they will be overwritten by a newer IGM, if you chose to send one)
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Just 3 Cities!!!! Are you kidding!
Come on! :shock:

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Can I just say that the suspense is reeeeaaaaaalllyyyy killing me.

blindest contest ever :D

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm

thrilling :!: no participating town sent the right number so far. For more hints please have a look at the 2th post (above)

No more hints will be published !!!!!

Greetings
Count Count

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:01 am

This is great, I love a challenge like this, and YES! I must agree with pk that the suspense is also killing me! lol :)

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:04 am

hey Count,... is this a trick!!

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:37 am

no trick!
I guess, when I post the solution this evening, a lot of you will be suprised that they didn´t see all the mistakes. I said that I post no more hints, but - ah well, maybe an update:

3 of you need to find 1 more mistake
1 of you needs to find 2 more mistakes
2 of you need to find 3 more mistakes
2 of you need to find 4 more mistakes

I am not able to help more, I guess it´s not always the same mistake(s), that is/are lacking

Until this evening. Probably with a new puzzle :twisted:
Count Count

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Ahhh, What a pity! none has detected all 11 mistakes. I´m so sorry! :cry:
Original:

The mistakes:

But congratulations nevertheless: The next puzzle will be again open to 30 cities, but those who joined in early and found alot of mistakes will have a genuine advantage!!!

Well, seems like the new puzzle is called for. Just a minute, please! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Ah man, lol

I see the one that I missed! :shock: It was the lady's dress pattern!!! :lol:

Great contest, Count!!!

Despite the fact that nobody won it, it was outSTANDING!!

Thanks for taking the time to think this up, I am DEFINITELY looking forward to the next goodie that you come up with! :D

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm

They all seem so obvious when you know where to look. Glad I was not the only one so far off in my count. :D Can't wait for the next contest!

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Round 2:

The Rules:

This is a Sudoku-like puzzle, but instead of numbers there are Kapi-goods.
The goods are: apples, books, casks, silk, pearls, iron, gold, wood and nets

There are 9 green rectangles. I want to know which good is in which rectangle. The solution will look like this:
1. apples
2. pearls
3. pearls
4. ...

and so on ( just as example, 1. is not "apples" obviousely)
For those who have never solved a sudoku before: the objective is to fill a 9×9 grid so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3×3 boxes (also called blocks or regions) contains each good only one time.

Now who gets the egg ?
  • Again 30 cities can join
  • Send an IGM to Gamblinshire naming the goods in the rectangles from 1 to 9
  • Each rectangle which is right gets a "puzzle point" (pp). So the highest possible score in this round is 9 pp
  • Those who already joined in round 1, get one puzzle point for each mistake they found. (published in the next post)
  • The city with the most pp after round 2 will be announced the puzzle master and will be honored with the Egg of Columbus
  • There will not be a Round 3. Should 2 cities still reach the same score after Round 2, there will be a kind of lottery for these cities.
  • To speed things up: 2 days, Lords and Ladys, 2 days! Send your solutions until 16.09.2009 | 20:00 ! Later IGMs will not be counted !
Have fun
Count Count

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Awesome! I love sudoku!

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:23 pm

@jediping: man, you are the fastest sudoku-wizard i ever met!!!

PP-Score after Round 1:

1. Starhills: 10 pp
2. Fierzdaufen: 10 pp
3. ferntree gully: 8 pp
4. Elantris: 7 pp
5. Bierton: 10 pp
6. Lokringen: 10 pp
7. Kronenstadt: 8 pp
8. Juvavum: 7 pp

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:04 am

Indeed, Duke Count, truly awesome!

It was the dress pattern that eluded me too!

Yesterday you destroyed my eyesight looking for tiny details :shock:

Now I am racking my brain with books gold silk, silk gold books... :?