Production by hour....

Ideas how the game could be improved and suggestions for subsequent versions of the game. (this is just a space for ideas! We can't guarantee suggestions will be implemented!)

Moderator: moderators

which theory is it?

Post by Guest » 13.09.2007, 20:33

Is it Economy of Scale or the Law of Diminishing Returns?

Either could be applicable depending on the situation. For example: as a companies grows, they can purchase more factories with bigger machines, faster production lines, etc. and therefore pump out more product. However, they also have to hire more maintenance staff, human resources people, more managers etc. Thus, while the volume goes up, the units per employee may actually go down because of the increase in overhead.

This is why it is so much harder in real life for a billion dollar company to make a 25% return than a much smaller company.

Post by Guest » 13.09.2007, 20:58

Production buildings suffer from diminishing returns. Research centers do not, i think selling buildings do not either, but i am not sure about them.

As far as i know there are no economies of scale, but i could be wrong.

Post by Guest » 13.09.2007, 22:07

You hit it.

Just to be clear:
  • Production buildings have a pretty clear degradation, I believe each level is about 99.5% the efficiency of the previous one. (Until you hit 400 employees and "optimize", which changes it.) They are also affected by player level drop-offs.
  • Research buildings have a smaller decline, but they do have one. Suffice it to say the growth is non-linear, and the formula is out there if you want to find it. However, while they drop off by size, leveling up doesn't affect them.
  • Selling buildings maintain their efficiency linearly. Neither building size nor player level drops it off.
Call it "management inefficiency" if you like, or "diseconomy of scale". It is rather accurate, the more employees you have the more time you spend in meetings, the more layers of middle management you have to hire, the easier it is for someone to slack off without getting caught, etc.

OTOH, I would say it's incorrect to say economies of scale don't exist. Consider why they exist in the real world. It's because effort you take once can be more easily applied across the board. So look no further than research. It costs the same in research to get one unit per day to q20 as it does to get a million there. So the cost per quality per unit goes down. That's an economy of scale. And why it's good to be the king, just ask Cash Money Brothers.

Of course that also applies to admin buildings, although that's kind of an "outside the game" effect.

To a lesser extent, you could say the work of setting up deals is an economy of scale. If you find a good supplier or buyer, sending the contract for 10 or 10,000,000 is the same work. It's not an efficiency of cost, but it is an efficiency of time. (Yours.)

Post by Guest » 14.09.2007, 06:34

Knolls wrote:Production buildings have a pretty clear degradation, I believe each level is about 99.5% the efficiency of the previous one. (Until you hit 400 employees and "optimize", which changes it.)
How much "optimize" change production? :)

Post by Guest » 14.09.2007, 13:44

TakeON wrote:How much "optimize" change production? :)
Quite a bit. Here's an example taken from Kapitools. I am using a green power plant, and picked Merchant for no apparent reason..

398 employees (non-optimized) 17.251.103,68 per day
399 employees (non-optimized) 17.265.575,96 per day
400 employees (optimized) 18.189.473,68

As you can see, moving from 398 to 399 gained you 14.472,28. You would expect that moving from 399 to 400 would gain you around the same amount, say 14.450.

Which means optimizing alone gained you 909.450, or about 5.2%. Or to put it another way, the act of optimizing alone is worth more than 60 new levels (around that size).

So, if you have any buildings in the 350 employee range, I would think very hard about moving them all the way to 400 in a single shot rather than leaving them in that midrange for a while. Same goes for the late 700s, late 1100s, etc.

Post by Guest » 03.01.2008, 20:47

Knolls wrote:Sure, but they also know about game design. Giving an extra advantage to the person who's already winning is bad, bad, bad. They don't need an advantage. They're already in front.
And how, check R2's water and power on the market, prices dropped low because big companies like powerbank drop 2 billion power on the market at once for a very very very low price.

Post by Guest » 09.03.2008, 13:12

I hope that there will be the possibility to just put in productiontimes within the next version.

At which time the release of a new version is planned?

Post by Guest » 07.06.2008, 21:04

If you use FireFox you can download the KapiSkript plugin. It adds this functionality via a greasemonkey type functionality.

Post by Guest » 08.06.2008, 10:16

CapitalPowerInvestments wrote:If you use FireFox you can download the KapiSkript plugin. It adds this functionality via a greasemonkey type functionality.

True! It also adds alot of usefull features like: If you buy from market like 19929 stones from npc, it tells that cost is 538,083

Post by Guest » 08.06.2008, 15:15

just downloaded kapiskript on my firefox browser.very useful i can now just input the amount of hours to produce a product hit produce product and it's done.goodbye trusty calculator.

Re: Production by hour....

Post by Guest » 19.03.2009, 15:45

m0pdq wrote:sorry if this has been suggested before, but......
any chance of adding a button in the production menu allowing you to choose x number of hours of production ?
it would save me hunting for my calculator everytime !
cheers all
Chris
Nice suggestion. This feature is already implemented in a similar game (which I like much better). Why don't you try to google for massive-multiplayer business simulation games and see what kind of games you can find?

[EDIT by GoldenEye: If you like another game much better then play that one. ;)

In Kapilands a production by hour will not come.]