Open source the game code and accept community pull requests

Ideas how the game could be improved and suggestions for subsequent versions of the game. (this is just a space for ideas! We can't guarantee suggestions will be implemented!)

Moderator: moderators

Open source the game code and accept community pull requests

Post by Guest » 31.08.2015, 09:28

Kapilands is getting pretty old now in terms of functionality but it still has a thriving community of players. I know of quite a few of us who work as software engineers within the PHP community (and I'm willing to provide documentation from my work email to prove this) and we would love to update the game from suggestions from players.

I'm aware that Upjers own the code to the game and it's their intellectual property, but at the same time, this game is in decline and something has to be done to improve the situation which Upjers clearly doesn't have the incentive to do right now while they focus on their other titles.

Of course the kneejerk reaction to this will be a 'no', but instead of just providing us with a blanket no, it may be worth opening a channel for discussion between players and admins regarding this and seeing what we can do together to work towards a more feature complete, modern Kapilands with a documented release schedule and managed expectations for all sides involved.

In addition to comments from Upjers staff, I also welcome comments from players here with any opinions they may have on the matter.

verkon

Re: Open source the game code and accept community pull requ

Post by verkon » 01.09.2015, 06:41

Unfortunately, Kapilands is the property of upjers, and it is highly unlikely that it would ever be sold or made open source.

While we appreciate the interest and enthusiasm loyal players bring to the game, and understand that players want updates and improvements, it's something that is hard to realize. For one, because there are always compatibility problems, and also because of the fickle nature of players (there was an attempt to make an updated version of Kapilands, but it was quite the flop - players were nostalgic and preferred the old version).

I know it's frustrating for players, and I understand that you guys would prefer a compromising solution, but unfortunately, all you're going to get is the dreaded blanket no.

Post by Guest » 01.09.2015, 10:35

In that case, I'm sure that the interested parties would be willing to sign an iron-clad NDA and deal with reduced access to private repositories. I'm mostly interested in talking about the possibility of this happening, instead of a blanket no, putting us in contact privately with someone at Upjers who has the position to talk about this and help us work towards it would be helpful.

Post by Guest » 04.09.2015, 09:24

Just re-iterating my desire for the above.